How to Speed up WordPress site
Do you want to boost up as lightening your WordPress website? Then this is the finest place you are at. Today I will share various tools, tips and techniques that you can make use of in order to speed up your website. To start with, how to speed up WordPress website is such an important question which is searched on the google every time a blogger or a professional is done with the site development and is ready to launch it globally. It does have fairly numerous benefits such as ranging from better response time, visitor engagement, increase page views, search engine ranking, reducing bounce back rate and many more. Fortunately, there are multitude of tips and techniques by using them one can achieve their desired goal. So, therefore we are without wasting a single second compiling up the best tools and techniques, tested and authentic, that can be used to speed up WordPress website and make your site a lot faster.
Table of Contents
- Why speed is so important for a website?
- How to check your website speed?
- What are the major issues behind slow speed?
- How to solve website speed issues without prior coding knowledge?
- How to solve website speed issues with coding and internal changes?
Why Speed is so important for your website?
Building a website from scratch and making it live over the web does not give you online presence which you desire for. The simple answer to the given question is to convince the visitor to stay on your website and in order to achieve this goal website response called so called speed is prominent. If the content of the website is taking too long for loading then it will result in the users to leave the webpage before its fully loaded and visible. On an average user response time is in between 5 to 8 seconds and if your website is taking more than this, then you need to fix it as soon as possible.
The question arises what will my website achieve after boosting up. The answer is you will get 12% more conversions, 20% more page views and article views, and all in all improved customer satisfaction. These satisfied visitors will definitely return back for new updates on your website and not only they return back but also promote your webpage or blog to their friend circle.
Finally, most importantly google is taking down those pages which are performing slow. So, in respect of SEO and more web traffic speeding up of the website is necessary. To conclude, if you want more traffic, visitors, subscribers, clients that will give you revenue and boost up your income than spending a day or two on speed up your website is Great.
How to check your website speed?
There are various ways and tools some are free and some are premium to check and monitor your website speed irrespective of the development technology used for building it. We are here discussing about the top 3 free tools that you can make use of to check your website speed over the internet.
Number 1 on the list is Google’s Page Insight:
You just need to write down your domain name or copy paste it; it will do the rest. There are various algorithms that work together under the name of page insights namely: first contentful paint, largest contentful paint, total blocking time and many more. These algorithms collaborately analyze your website properly and provide you the exact speed on both the mobile devices and the desktop devices. Despite showing speed numbers it will also tell you various other points on which you can work on to irradicate the bottlenecks and achieve a good speed number. The web page speed is marked from 0 to 100; 0 being the lowest and 100 the highest. The speed mark which is targeted as a milestone to achieve ranges from 90 to 98.
Number 2 on the list is GT.net’s GTmetrix:
It is also one of the best and most used tools over the globe. Undoubtedly it works pretty similar to the Google Page Insights but the algorithms used, Graphical User interface are different. The process is same you just need to copy and paste or write down the URL of your website and it hit the analyze button. It will do the rest. The results will be displayed in grades ranging from A to F; A being the best and F as lowest. The considerations and advisory given by audits are not always working for all. Sometimes there are third party links that you cannot optimize. So, deal with only that stuff which is under your control and you can fix it. The milestone here is to get your website an ‘A’ grade.
Number 3 on the list is Solarwinds’ Pingdom:
Pingdom is also used by web developers to check if nothing fixable is left behind. This tool is built to help people analyze their website load speed. It can be used by both experts and novices to help optimize their website performance. It is again a free tool and uses more than 70 global server locations to test and analyze customers’ websites. Procedure is again similar to the above explained tools, either copy paste or type in your website URL and hit the Start Test Button, it will do the rest. With the help of Pingdom speed test tool you can monitor your website’s performance for a better user experience. Moreover, you can choose the server location based on your targeted audience. The Graphical user interface is bit different and it displays the screenshot of your website and performance is shown in the grade system same as gtmetrix; A being the best and F being the lowest. In addition, it also shows load time, page size and various requests made by the given page. Similar to previous tools to improve page performance there are various pointers given and after working on them speed of the website will be lot faster.
What are the major issues behind slow speed?
Now talking about the issues and lags that slow down your website. These are of various type and in number. It’s a mistake thinking that your website is perfectly fine and works flawlessly superfast on your computer. This is because once a website is opened frequently on any system, the browser used to visit the website stores the website’s content in its cache memory and automatically fetch it back form cache as soon as you open the web address. However, when a new user who is living somewhere else and is trying to access your website, he will see the real dynamic speed and will definitely has a different experience. Not another user, you yourself also if try to open that website on different device for the first time would feel the difference.
Jotting down the major issues that we can deal with to get our desired speed.
- Web Server Hosting: Get a good server for your website to host, such as godaddy, bluehost, hostinger, hostgator. Which have 99.99% uptime and optimized servers.
- Updates and Patches: Always do update the WordPress version and its related plugins and themes. Never use a nulled version of anything, it will surely ruin your website in longer run.
- Images and Page Size: Images should be optimized in both size and dimensions so that the individual page holding all content does not get heavy.
- Remove extra things: Remove extra images, links, call to actions, anything you find extra just remove it.
- Eliminate Render blocking resources: Try to defer or remove js and css calls that are listed by speed test tools.
- Expiry headers: Use the expiry headers in the htaccess file and make sure you have provided enough expiry time for all extensions required.
How to solve website speed issues without prior coding knowledge?
If you are a beginner and wants to boost your website without any prior coding knowledge then this will definitely be the best place for you. We will list down different plugins and techniques by using them, you will definitely reach closest to the speed milestone.
- Get a good server hosting such as godaddy.
- Update all the plugins themes and on top of it WordPress or click on the autoupdate so that you never miss anything.
- Install a WordPress caching plugin such as w3 total cache https://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/
- Optimize all the images that are being used in the website and delete all others that are extra. You can optimize images free at optimizilla.
- Never use direct videos or audio files in the website. Upload them somewhere else like YouTube or SoundCloud and use the link of the file in website.
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN) if possible.
About the Author:
Editors at Staunch Business Solutions is a team of web developers and designers who are expert in the various computer languages led by Manpreet Singh (Masters of Technology in Computer Science Engineering from SGGSWU). Trusted by over 2k readers worldwide.